Contact Us for a Consultation 703 243 1474


Can I work for companies such as Uber, Lyft, Doordash or other delivery services while under F-1 visa status?

Posted by MICHAEL W. LIN | Jun 24, 2023 | 0 Comments

The short answer is "NO". As a foreign student under F-1 status, you must not work without permission, whether it is for an employer or for yourself as an independent contractor. Doing so will invalidate your F-1 status and render you out of status. Many people incorrectly believe that because they are not technically working for any employer, and that they are simply working for themselves by doing gigs here and there for companies such as Uber, Lyft, or Doordash, etc., such work would not trigger a violation of the immigration law. Even driving Uber for one trip is sufficient to trigger a violation of your F-1 status.

So before you decide to engage in any activity for pay, you should first consult with your school's Designated School Official (DSO). You may also contact us for a consultation regarding your situation before you do anything.

About the Author


PARTNER Mr. Lin has been working in the immigration field since 1992. Mr. Lin has worked on countless highly complex immigration matters ranging from corporate mergers, successor in interest, crimmigration, H-1B, E-2, and all aspects of immigration law. Mr. Lin served as a Special Assistant A...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment


Contact us today to schedule an appointment.